Top 5 quotes from George Patton
- "Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory."
- "You're never beaten until you admit it."
- "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
- "May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't."
Top 5 quotes from War & Peace
- "Warmaking doesn't stop warmaking. If it did, our problems would have stopped millennia ago."
- "A tyrant is always stirring up some war or other, in order that the people may require a leader."
- "If we were base enough to desire it, it is now too late to retire from the contest. There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! Our chains are forged! Their clanking may be heard on the plains of Boston! The war is inevitable; and let it come! I repeat, Sir, let it come!"
- "It is only necessary to make war with five things: with the maladies of the body, with the ignorances of the mind, with the passions of the body, with the seditions of the city, with the discords of families."
- "If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a small chance of survival. There may even be a worse case: you may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."